Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Is Megan There?

November 4, 2008
5:02 p.m.
Somewhere in central Pennsylvania

RING!

ME: Hello.

YOUNG MALE VOICE: Is Megan there?

ME: Sorry, there's no Megan here. That's the second time today someone's asked for her, so you may have a problem in your database.

YMV: I'm trying to reach Megan Benson. For the McCain campaign?

ME: Sorry, no Megan here, but we're Bensons, too.

YMV: Well, I'm calling for the McCain campaign. Did you vote today? For John McCain?

ME: No, we actually voted for Barack Obama.

YMV: Oh, too bad.

ME: Well, when it's all over in a few hours either McCain or Obama will have won, and you and I will both still be Americans, and we'll get on with it.

YMV: I'm not so sure about that.

ME: Why?

YMV: I don't want to live in a country where people's money is taken in taxes that then go to benefits for other people.

ME: Sure you do.

YMV: Huh?

ME: We've had a graduated income tax in this country for a hundred years; you believe in it, Barack Obama believes in it, I believe in it, and John McCain believes in it.

YMV: Well, I've got to go make some more calls.

ME: Okay, thanks for calling. Think about it.

No comments: