Tuesday, September 15, 2009

I want my country back



Linda Campbell of the Fort Worth Star Telegram has written a variation on the "I want my country back" commonplace.

I want my country back.

The one where a message of personal responsibility and the value of a good education is celebrated, not denigrated with suspicion and hostility. . . .


Linda Campbell, "Can We Please Act Like the United States?" Fort Worth Star Telegram, 9 September 2009.

Even Campbell would probably admit -- as a rhetorical critic must -- that the United States has often entertained furies of uncivil rhetoric. The current rage at President Obama on the part of a right wing lunatic fringe carries the occasional national carnival of partisan hysteria to shocking lengths, even among some otherwise presumably responsible adults.

photo from Bag News Notes -- which credits NewsCom /Zuma Wire

No comments: